hover animation preload

With my own two hands
by Estee in

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the latest sermon series at church - "Be the Change." We took that title from a quote by Gandhi - "Be the change you wish to see in the world" (which is coincidentally the title of my husband's blog).

As I was singing my son to sleep tonight, I realized that the song I sing to him is a play on this quote. The song is about doing something for the good of the world with your own two hands -- changing the world, bringing peace, making the world a better, cleaner, safer, brighter place.

Although neither the quote nor the song are overly theological, there is deep meaning about the relationship between God in humanity in each. A newer school of thought called process theology asserts that God calls human beings to be "co-creators" with God in the process of creation. Such thinking imagines creation as a dynamic, on-going process that humans can participate in. It also believes in the interconnectedness of all things, that no one is an island, but that the choices made by one affects the whole.

There are lots of details I could go into, but in its most basic form I find this thought beautiful. It affirms that God created me for a purpose - for the purpose of "co-creating" with God, the purpose of working to make the world a better place, to bring about the kingdom of God "on earth as it is in heaven."

Here is Jude's lullaby in case you want to sing along:

0 comments:

Post a Comment